home > articles > 3rd nsw 928 frenzy > part two > part three > part four

Third NSW 928 Frenzy - Part Three

The shadows were slowly lengthening as we drove on towards our destination. The road was simultaneously climbing, narrowing and presenting us with more and more turns the higher we went.

Perfect conditions for Porsches!

Passing through alternate vistas of spectacular mountain valley views and sections of thick forest bush, we arrived at a T-intersection. Left Khancoban, or right to the mountain village of Cabramurra. Wheeling the group to the right I led the procession of 928’s through this unique and mostly uninhabited village.

At an altitude of 1480 metres, it is the highest township in Australia. Population: approximately 160. There has been a significant decline in the last 4 years due to cutting back of the Snowy Mountains Hydro Electricity Authority workforce. The town is somewhat unique in that apart from its altitude and obviously much colder climate than the rest of Australia, it is also entirely within the boundaries of the Kosciusko National Park. It exists only for the staff and families of the Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Authority, there are no private dwellings.

Following this short break, leg stretch and photo opportunity we drove down the twisty road into Khancoban. Always a beautiful spot where we took but a moments rest before the trek back up the mountain towards Thredbo and eventually Jindabyne.

I was at about this point that we realised that the day had (up until this point) gone very smoothly. No break downs or chance occurrences with members of the NSW Police Force. This was about to change!

The road up the mountains was fairly typical of what we had been driving on during the second half of the day. Then we came across the rocks in the middle of the road! OK we can deal with those no problem. Then there were the occasional gravel breaks in the bitumen! OK the first one was a bit of a surprise just back off a little and continue. Then we came across the first patch of road under re-construction! OK this is not good but we can deal with it too! Except that it wasn’t a small patch was it? … NO!

It was 16 kilometres of climbing, turning and rocky gravel track that we had to negotiate … there was no going back now. I felt every unbearable noise as the rocks tumbled and crashed against the underside of the shark and later at Jindabyne I found a few scratches across my recently painted rims! …HOWWWWL!!

At the end of this treacherous section of road (the only downside to the entire day) Charles had decided to pull over in a chain bay to (wisely) check the underside of his S4. As Ces Hayes drove past him Charles noticed Ces’s exhaust pipe doing the ‘hot shoe shuffle’ bouncing all over the place.

It turned out that the rubber mount had disintegrated somewhere along that nasty piece of dirt. Charles found a piece of wire by the side of the road and in no time flat successfully manufactured a temporary mount and they were off again.

We all ended up at David and Wendy Hammond’s winter lodge in Jindabyne a very tired bunch of people with eight dirty and dusty Porsches. Someone produced a bucket and sponge so then and there as the light faded quickly in a dusky late afternoon sky we washed and dried our sharky chariots until no-one could actually see what they were cleaning anymore.

Dinner at the lodge was a fitting finish to the day. Everyone brought snacks and a meal, which was then shared by all and finished off with bottles of fine beers, wine and spirits.

This was day one and another day of driving and eating was waiting for us in the morning.